Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bee



Bee

Can’t you make yourself dull?

Why so yellow?

When I try to spell the word

Isn’t nerves enough

Enough that you don’t have to make the banner so blinding

Burning my eyes as if they weren’t already


So bright

Bursting

Everything’s bursting

My heart, my lungs, my mind

Everything but my brain

Oh what a difference

Mind and brain

Do thoughts come from the mind?

Do feelings come from the brain?

Speaking from the brain is just information

Speaking from the mind is true yet exciting

But best of all

Speaking from the heart is art

A masterpiece

The piece de resistance

Beauty

Spelling is the brain

Being a part of the bee

That’s the heart and mind

Melded into one amazing museum of stories and laughter

Hesitation

Mathematics, M-A-T-H-A-M-A-T-I-C-S, mathematics

“I’m so sorry, that’s incorrect”

M-A-T-H-E-M-A-T-I-C-S

And the bee stings

Already knowing that it made the wrong choice

But on the other hand

Rachel and I exchange a smile

It ices the sting

No more swelling

No more mind and heart

Just brain


pounding and buzzing like the bee it once was







1 comment:

  1. i wrote this poem after a spelling bee
    i got out in the third round with the word mathematics

    ReplyDelete